Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Hunger Challenge is OVER!

So the Hunger Challenge officially ended on Saturday night but because of Yom Kippur I started fasting after dinner on Friday night. I apologize for not blogging my dinner on Friday night but you have to eat and get to synagogue before sundown (6:57pm) and I was in a rush!

Now that the Hunger Challenge is over I can actually reflect on how difficult it was. I can't imagine having to plan out a week's worth of meals and exactly what you can eat each day AND making in nutritious and affordable. I don't know who has the time to do that.

I'm thankful for the Hunger Challenge because besides the obvious benefit of learning what it's like to be food insecure, the Challenge also helped me be more mindful of how much I spend, what I'm eating and whether its "worth it" nutritionally to spend my limited budget on. 

I truly can't imagine doing this every day. It's fun at first because its just a game and not real but then it kind of becomes your actual reality just takes all the pleasure out of eating and turns it into just another thing to be stressed out about.

Now that the Hunger Challenge is over and there aren't going to be any more Hunger Challenge posts I don't want you, dear readers, to feel that you are no longer a part of this cause. I  recommend that you visit the San Francisco Food Bank's website to learn more about what this great organization does.

If you like what you read, and maybe even laughed out loud -- Please consider donating a few bucks a laugh to the Food Bank to help continue their work...

If you live in the San Francisco area maybe you would like to visit the Food Bank and do a volunteer shift or have a tour of the facilities? If so, read more here!

Stay in touch with the work of the Food Bank on their facebook page and on twitter.

Thank you so much for your loyal readership! I hope you learned a little about the real struggle many people have just to EAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment